Wednesday, January 26, 2011

How I Amplify My Five String

I play every night with a band that also has bass, drums and organ. I play acoustic guitar, electric guitar, banjo and uke, all through the same signal path into a Fender pro junior amp. I used to use a piezo pickup, which sounds pretty good through a DI, but I wanted to use a pickup that sounded better through the amp.

I ended up wiring the banjo with a P90 guitar pickup!

Here is a short vid and sound sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRe7Ri4uNDI

It is capable of loud clean and overdriven tones. I can run reverb or delay or boost or whatever else I want. Also, it feeds back less than the piezo used to. I think it has a better "natural" sound than any piezo I have tried!

Aaron
www.boulderacousticsociety.com

No comments:

Post a Comment